Sunday, January 24, 2010

Animation the way to journal

I received an email from a friend that included the most marevelous animation sho rt "Pigeon Impossible" It looked like it was made by a group of college kids. It looked julst like the Disney Pixtar animated videos. There was no sound, yet the graphics were and very little words were so captivating that one hardly noticed they were not present. When I showed it to my class, then asked them to respond--they went wild with words of enthusiasim.Everyone was able to tell the story, yet no one even commented on the lack of words and sound. I think responding to things like this is a good way to allow students to get in touch with their own voice--there is no pressure no judgement, and no right or wrong answer. NOW how to create one--that is the question?

6 comments:

  1. That sounds really interesting! Would it be possible for you to set up a link to that, so we could all see it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see it too. In the old days we would show a short video ( usually a well known soap opera)turn the volume off and ask the students to guess what they were saying. Most classes liked that activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This program looked cool but I haven't tried it yet. I read about it on someone else's blog. http://www.stykz.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did this as a journal response and the kids LOVED it!! Mine had sound, so I don't know if you had your speakers up or not. I have found that by mixing up my journal responses with video, read alouds, quotes, etc., the kids are really engaged! Thanks so much for sharing that link :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to use pictures as writing prompts and let students be creative. This works well with lots of kids. This way too cool! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete